Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

What does being a "gamer" really mean?

I was reading the latest issue of  my favorite game magazine and I came across  a mini article called "I will educate you". It was an article written by someone (I'll leave the name anonymous because I'm not trying to bash anyone) who is giving a definition to the term "gamer" so we can feel superior to those who fail to meet our criteria, and to sum it up this person basically says a gamer is not someone who plays social games, plays mainstream games, or reaches prestige five in call of duty. This person also mentions that real gamers don't play popular games but underground indie pc titles, bizarre imports from tiny European countries, and poorly localized RPG's with arcaic mechanics... basically playing games no one has heard of, and if you disagree then you are not a hardcore gamer.

I understand this person has an opinion but I feel the term "gamer" shouldn't be taken so seriously it just takes the fun out of everything. There are some people who spend 200+ hours on RPG's just so they accomplished everything in the game. There are some people who play a single game 3 or 4 times in a row just to obtain all the trophies, and reaching level five prestige in Call of Duty... I feel that is a big thing because that takes ALOT OF TIME (if your not cheating). I feel anyone who puts in a lot of hard work in every game they play (no matter what the game is) is a dedicated gamer, and not the type of gamer who just plays games just to beat them, but that is just MY opinion. I have compared my profile with others on my friends list and I am not on any of their levels. I've seen some of the things you have to do to get platinum trophies and if you have more than 5 platinum trophies then I truly applaud you on your dedication. For the people with 20+ trophies.... I am speechless... and they always say "pimpin' ain't easy".

I just feel the term "gamer" shouldn't be taken so seriously. Everyone has their own style of gaming and it should be respected, we shouldn't have live by someone's standards. We should discontinue the word gamer, everyone is a gamer in their own way.:)







8 comments:

  1. Nice post and I totally agree with you Kelli. The label 'gamer' definitely shouldn't be taken too seriously.

    LOL in the past I've literally spent 200+ hours on a single online RPG game (not proud of it). And even still I'd consider myself still as a some-what casual gamer. The description they said in the article I reckon portrays a 'hardcore' gamer.

    I just think people who spend a good deal of quality time playing games in any genre can be called a 'gamer'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelli!

    Labels - folks put their own values and spin on every label. Typically the 'popular' consensus defines these labels. Then you have your levels of gaming and, like Daisy mentioned, hardcore and casual can be tagged on from of the Gamer label to show what type of gamer you are.

    It reminds me of when I was into acting actually. There was the idea that you're not an actor until you've been in a known film, big-time stage play or just had years of experience under your belt. I wonder what a hardcore 'actor' would be like. Hmmm, sounds wrong.

    Although it's gaming it sounds similar. In the end it's whatever you want it to be. I think a person who enjoys playing games should qualify as a 'gamer'. I feel like a casual gamer, and a beer now that I think about it :)

    Cheers,

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Like always there are labels for mostly everything. Who ever wrote that article is totally wrong.

    I think a hardcore gamer is a person who loves to play video games and has been playing video games for so many years.

    As for a casual gamer, is a person who likes to play video games, but not that much cause they get bored or just don't have time to play video games every day like hardcore gamers.

    Either way I call a person a gamer if they at least play any type of game even if they play for 10 minutes every few days.

    - The Girl Gamer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, we are all gamers, there are just too many variants to lump us all in one category or dismiss all other categories for the one that is a true gamer.

    I don't have the 200 plus hrs in a game but when I do play, I play efficiently. That's my style, which is completely different than someone else.

    But that doesn't make me any more a true gamer than someone who picks up peggle(great game) to play now and then.

    Whom ever wrote that article is dead wrong, and would even go as far and seeing themselves above all other gamers, or based on his/her opinion, wouldn't even consider us gamers to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone! A 'Gamer' really just means you like playing games and have fun playing them. For instance, I prefer to rush through the storyline and THEN do all of the cool stuff like get 100% ect.

    Although I wouldn't call myself a casual gamer, I wouldn't real call myself too hardcore a gamer, i'm somewhere in between I'd say :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree. I still think the gaming industry is still moulding the definition of "gamer" and whether it should be taken seriously or not. We're a new medium and we still need to find our place in the world even if that takes decade's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've found a lot of people just have sub categories of "gamers"
    Casual gamers
    Hardcore gamers
    Tourney gamers
    Social gamers
    JRPG gamers
    WRPG gamers
    FPS gamers
    etc

    I think being a gamer is anyone who enjoys video games, whether it's casually or "hardcore".
    I'd like to say I'm like Oliver; A little bit in between. (although I can't rush a story line)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello. Nice site btw. Do yourself a favor and ignore anyones opinions gaming related that doesn't resonate with you. Gamers are some of the most fickle jaded bunch of people on earth. I been gaming just over twenty five years and it seems over the past ten years its gotten worse. So, just ignore most "opinions" of gamers including the huge publications and websites if it doesn't make sense to you. Personally, i take everything with a grain a salt whenever i read someones "opinions" regarding gaming and especially when i see a red flags like labels being thrown around. When you get a chance check out my videogame site at http://videogames4gamerz.blogspot.com/ I'm Jason

    ReplyDelete