Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hi: I'm 26 years old and I play Little Big Planet

Soooooo..... I kind of need some gamer advice.

I was playing the community levels on Little Big Planet 2 one fine afternoon and a window popped up saying someone wanted to join the level with me, so I did. We played the level untill we beat it and then we ended back in the pod. He added me as a friend and I accepted. The first thing he asked me was how old I was, I said 26. You know how you can animate your characters face, well this is what he did:


Then he said "eeeerrrrrrr uuuhhhhhhh". Then I asked "how old are you?" He kept beating around the bush till finally he admitted he was 7 years old. My eyes widened a little big but I told him that we are just playing a game, and if he felt uncomfortable I understand. He said he comfortable and asked if his friend could join..... I was thinking "wow another kid" but I told him ok. So his friend joined and then he requested to be my friend. Then I was thought " I don't want to play this game and end up with a bunch of kids as friends."

Okay here are my standards on game friends, If I do have friends on the PSN I would "prefer" them to be 18 and over. Now I know we play games with people and have no clue  how old they are, and their personality, after all we are just playing a game and having fun right? The friends I already had on the PSN never asked my age and neither did I asked theirs, but I'm still cool with them. I do have nieces and nephews that age and I do play games with them but I just feel like this is different. One thing I think about is the parents... do they want their child talking to someone who is 19 years older than them. Another thing I think about I just feel comfortable playing with people at least "of age".

My question is should I just let it go, it's just a game we are not meeting each other we are just having fun?
or should I delete them as a friend because of the superior age difference, for the sake of the parents... and myself?

What would you do?

6 comments:

  1. I've had friend request aswell and I never ask the other person their age, that is usually a sign on a younger gamer(I think)

    I mean I don't care how old you are if we are just playing a game online. UNLESS, its a rated M game, then my first question is, " you shouldn't be playing this game anyway, let alone having me as a accomplice telling you to run around the back and stab that guy in the head"

    But I must admit, I too think I would feel a little weird about having a 7 year old stranger add me as a friend. But if I didn't know his age or never talked with him online, then how would I know?

    Sheesh, that's a hard one. I mean its just a friendly game of little big planet. But he/she is 7 and wants their friend to add you aswell? My first question is what's a 7 year old sending messages online? That's dangerous enough...but that's just me.

    Wow, I've been no help what soever. I think its all circumstantial?
    But if you want to know what I would do. Like ripping a band aid off.
    Sorry, no friend add and leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've just started playing this! I'm in my twenties and I play with my partner's young siblings who are aged seven and nine, the only problem there is the added chaos!
    But I suppose the issue here is that you don't personally know these children. I guess you have to go with your instinct. There doesn't seem to be much that could go wrong with interaction during LBP, but you're right in considering what their parents' reactions would be. You could perhaps ask them if their parents want them playing with anybody older than them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ blake you've been alot of help :).. I guess you was just as stumped as I was, and yes I too don't want to send bad direction to a younger kid.

    @ Arlecchino that's exactly how i felt "I don't know these children", and that's what makes it different from playing with my own nieces and nephews.

    So I guess the verdict is ..... for the concerns of the parents (if they are concerned) no friend add.... but in the future, if someone wants to add me should I always ask how old they are?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't ask, but rather leave it as that. If you start getting odd "kid like written messages" than by all means, I think its safe to ask them how old they are.

    Also talking and not talking in multiplayer games is a big thing for me aswell. I don't feel comfortable talking to a kid, even if the game is kid friendly. It just doesn't feel right, so rather then even go there, its a quick,"great game, but I only add people I know".

    Point being, I don't think you need to ask every person who adds you how old they are. But rather judge the gameplaying experience, no talking, talking, messages. If it feels like there may be a kid on the other end and you don't feel comfortable, then by all means. A quick little note asking how old they are is not out of the question, followed by(if they are younger)sorry, I don't normally add younger gamers?!

    That would be my take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother is 10 years old and does a lot of online gaming in Black Ops, Red Dead - those types of games. He even has a mic to talk to people. Most people he talks to are twice his age and sometimes swear but it's not really a bother - we were brought up not sheltered from the real world.

    My brother knows where the boundaries are. He is very mature for his age and has made a lot of older friends online (he's pro at gaming). If things get too crazy he knows just to leave the game or block the person online. Mum's always in the kitchen listening out every time he plays online just in case things get out of hand.

    So a lot of younger kids I think, are allowed to play online... I mean my mum knows my brother does and approves.

    But I totally agree on how weird it can be playing with a 7 year old online. I'd probably not want to add them either. Just do what feels comfortable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone had some good advice on this one. Thanks guys

    ReplyDelete